Background

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

PEOPLE AND THINGS ONLY CLEVELANDERS WOULD KNOW

This post is dedicated to all my Cleveland friends and family. I've always tried to stay young at heart by remembering fun things from my past. Here are just a few of them.

First up is a small amusement park located east of Cleveland that closed its doors in 1969.


EUCLID BEACH PARK was an old school amusement park that had many great rides, one big wooden roller coaster, and this:


The ROCKET CAR!

Euclid Beach was also the home of this creepy thing:



"LAUGHING SAL" was a mechanical fat lady that was placed at the entrance of the fun house. The old hag's spooky looks along with her loud, hysterical, and non-stop laughing traumatized many a young soul, including mine!

Since the 1980's Cleveland has had it's very own DAWG POUND.


And these are just a few of the characters that occupy it!
Browns fans, do you remember this?

It's JOE "TURKEY" JONES and his legendary pile-drive sack of Steelers HOF Quarterback Terry Bradshaw on 10/10/76. I do believe the NFL implemented a few QB protection rules because of that hit. To Bradshaw's credit, he overcame the hit and was able to continue playing.

Cleveland rocked the 70's with the Buzzard


And the MICHAEL STANLEY BAND.


Cleveland still ROCKS to this very day!

Speaking of the 70's! Cavalier fans, do you remember this guy?

It's BOBBY "BINGO" SMITH!

Stay tuned for more memories tomorrow.

1 comment:

Gail said...

I loved the laughing fat lady, and used to go in the Fun House every time I went to Euclid Beach as a kid. It was one of my favorite childhood places. Cleveland was also the home of the "Outsiders" band, which only had one number one hit, "Time Won't Let Me" which is still one of my favorite songs. I got to meet the band members on a night out once I turned 21.