Background

Thursday, June 7, 2012

CIRCUITOUS ROUTE

So, Les and I were watching the finale of Harry's Law and Kathy Bates started singing a song which neither Les nor I knew. Later, we heard the same song over the final scene, from a male voice. Les asked, "Is that Leonard Cohen?" I said, "It doesn't sound like him but the song sounds like something he might have written, but I have all of Leonard Cohen's records and I don't remember that song."

TO THE COMPUTER! It's Tom Waits! Les said, "Another person who CAN'T sing." I said, "But I like the song." Tom Waits name was on several lists of my "The 5 Greatest Living Songwriters" BLOG article.

The song, Take Me Home is from the soundtrack of the film One From The Heart, which was directed by Francis Ford Coppola. I thought I'd seen everything Coppola directed. NOPE!

TO NETFLIX!

The musical score by Tom Waits was nominated for the Academy Award for 1982. Crystal Gayle (YES, Crystal Gayle) sang the song Take Me Home.

Sometimes we travel a circuitous route to discover a treasure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that Harry's Law and for a minute, I thought she was making it up! Then I remembered all the great music David Kelly used on Allie McBeal, so I figured it must be somebody well-known, but unlike you, I'm too lazy to follow-up!