Background

Saturday, June 9, 2012

FRED DAVIDSON'S MOTHER'S CHEESECAKE


At Rockwell, in the 1980s, my Department had marvelous carry-in dinners. At one, I had invited the Quality Control team to join us. One of the Managers was Fred Davidson and he brought cheesecake which was delicious. He told me it was his mother's recipe. I asked for the recipe and it was definitely New York-style-Jewish cheesecake. Each time I made cheesecake after that I used Fred's mother's recipe. After the contract was completed at Rockwell, I lost track of Fred.

One day, in the 1990s, Scott, our niece Robin's husband, said he would like to make cheesecake and asked to borrow my spring-form pan and my recipe.

When he saw the name on the recipe he said, "That's funny--that's the name of our new Quality Manager at work." I asked, "Do you know where he worked in the 1980s?"

Yes, Fred Davidson, was in Washington Court House. One day, I saw Fred in Kroger and he said, "It's a small world; how did a big-time Manager like you end up in Washington Court House?" I laughed and told him that I'd spent my whole life here! I asked, "How did a big-time Quality guy like you end up here?" He said that he had custody of his daughter and that she wanted to have a horse, so he decided to accept a job in a rural setting.

My sister-in-law Carol, who is Korean, called me to tell me that her girlfriend, Jeannie, who is also Korean, was dating the "nicest guy" from work and that he knew me. Yes, it was Fred Davidson. Fred Davidson, a Jewish guy from New York, was dating a Korean gal in Washington C.H.

I loved the incongruity!

I said, "Tell her his mother makes the best cheesecake!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try it; I love cheesecake.