Background

Thursday, June 14, 2012

LACONIC


Les and I were watching the new series Longmire and we both liked it, but agreed that it seems derivative of Justified which stars Timothy Olyphant. Olyphant became a favorite of ours after seeing him in the series Deadwood. Les said, "Look up laconic the dictionary and you'll see that guy Longmire's picture." I answered, "Or taciturn." Les asked, "You've been waiting to throw that into conversation, haven't you?"

Neither of us recalled seeing the actor Robert Taylor, who plays Longmire, previously. We went to our "friend" IMDB and learned he'd been in The Matrix which meant that Les had seen him before but I hadn't. [Am I the only person who has NOT seen The Matrix?] We also learned that Taylor is from Australia. I told Les that Australians say "Uh-stralia" whereas we say "AW-stralia"! From Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, to Simon Baker--every Australian I've heard interviewed--pronounces it that way.

I guess Mr. Taylor can use the name "Robert Taylor" because he's Australian, or perhaps, because the other Robert Taylor is deceased. I don't know all the rules, but I believe that performers must register their names with the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) and if there's already a performer with that name, one has to change his name; e.g.: Michael J. Fox had to add the "J" because there was already a Michael Fox registered. My favorite is Stewart Granger, who was born with the name James Stewart!

Others who had to change their names:

Vanessa Williams became Vanessa L. Williams
Nathan Lane was Joseph Lane
Michael Keaton was Michael Douglas
Although Albert Brooks changed his name, his original name was not of another performer, but was Albert Einstein!

See the story link HERE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I must watch this new show!