Background

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

GAGGING


As we were watching the third Presidential Debate with a large group of people, a participant stood up and began waving her arms. I noticed the action as she was nearby to me, but I didn't grasp why she was waving her arms. My friend Lana immediately understood that the victim meant she couldn't breathe. Lana began to wrap her arms around the victim to try to perform the Heimlich Maneuver although she did not do the thrusts against the back. I could tell she was having difficulty wrapping her arms around the victim and I said, "I'm putting you over the back of this chair." Another person started hitting her around the shoulder blades. I said, "Don't do that; that doesn't work!" That person was offended and said, "Well, it helped me when I was choking." I said, "You're supposed to place the palm of your hand here," and as I gestured, I administered the back thrusts and the woman began to breathe.

After the ordeal, the victim was sitting, trembling, and we learned that she had NOT been choking on food; she was gagging and couldn't breathe. She didn't know why she started gagging, but she has many allergies to scents and odors and there were a great number of people in the room as well as aromas from the food, and that might have caused her gagging. When I know I am going to be in contact with her, I do not wear perfume, but others are not aware of her sensitivity.

As we were sitting there, she said, "I don't know why I'm shaking," and I answered, "Because you just had the shit scared out of you!"

She answered, "I'm glad someone knew what to do." I said, "I'm glad Lana recognized what was wrong; I thought you were dancing!"

When I went home, I told Les about the episode and he said, "Well, some of those lies in the Debate probably made her gag!"

CLICK HERE to read the article: How To Perform The Heimlich Maneuver In 6 Different Situations.

No comments: