Background

Thursday, May 5, 2016

FELIZ CINCO DE MAYO

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican culture, food, beverage, and customs unique to Mexico.

I've met numerous people who think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexican Independence Day, but the date for that is September 16.  

Cinco de Mayo is not greatly celebrated in Mexico;  in fact, it is not a national holiday, but it is an official holiday in the State of Puebla, where El Dia de Batalla de Puebla (the day of the Battle of Puebla) took place.  The celebration has become popular outside of Mexico, in communities with a large number of Mexican immigrants and people of Mexican descent.

Cinco de Mayo celebrates the defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, led by the bravery of Texas-born General Zaragoza with his greatly outnumbered militia.


Cinco de Mayo is my excuse to eat Mexican food, which I greatly enjoy, but I also enjoy sharing the history of the celebration.

CLICK HERE to read about the history of Cinco de Mayo from The Encyclopaedia Britannica while I enjoy caldo de Cameron, ceviche, romeritos, and for dessert pan de muerto.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meet me at El Canon! ML