Background

Friday, January 6, 2017

I'M NOT LISA

The Coordinator of a local organization where I volunteer is named Chiquita.

Today a man approached me and said, "I'm supposed to see someone named Chiquita."

He did not have a pleasant persona and I immediately disliked his demeanor.  I asked, "How do you know I'm not Chiquita?"

He replied, disdainfully, "You look like a Lisa."

Like a Lisa?  How absurd is that?

Naturally (well, "naturally" for ME), I began singing I'm Not Lisa.  Listen to Jessi Colter's version:



The man was obviously not amused and I directed him to Chiquita's office.  He asked, "Do you think she'll sing to me too?"  I answered, "I'm sure she knows all the words to her namesake song!"

Later, I mentioned the conversation to my brother and he asked, "How many times have you heard people say that someone doesn't look like a doctor, or a lawyer, or a cop, for example?"  I laughed and said, "I am guilty of that!  I actually said that someone looked like a cop!" But, naturally, (and again, it's "naturally" for me!) I knew that I was being absurdly stereotypical to say something like that!

No comments: