Background

Monday, January 30, 2017

namaste

I'm always amused when I see people reading weighty tomes in public. I think those people want to impress someone, but whom? A person who would also read those kinds of books would surely think the people were "showing off" by reading them in public. I think it's just pretentious. I guess I believe I must give undivided attention to intellectual material.

Yes, I'll read magazines at the doctor's office--I even take magazines to share at the doctor's office-- and I always have reading material in the car or purse in the event that I might be stranded somewhere, but I don't carry Stephen Hawking's books or Principia Mathematica with me. I've had some marvelous conversations with people about books they were reading.

Today at a restaurant which features a couch, comfortable chairs, and a coffee table, as well as regular chairs and tables, I noticed a young man sitting on the comfy couch, eating a scone, and drinking a latte, as he was reading a book by The Dalai Lama. (Hey, I'm observant, and yes, I listen to the orders placed by others; thus I heard his detailed la-di-dah coffee order) I told the gal waiting on us, "I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I think the scones are awful, but I do love the cream puffs."

The book the young man was reading appeared to be from a library because it had the protective cellophane wrapper I see on library books.

I said to my luncheon companion: "Watch this." When I got his attention--which was easy--after all, he obviously wanted people to pay attention to him--I folded my hands, did a quick head bow and said, "NAMASTE!"

He looked absolutely thrilled and returned the gesture.

Walking out, I felt bad--there I was making fun of his conspicuous display of seriousness--and he obviously thought I was sincere!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always have one of those insipid Love Inspired books tucked into my copy of War And Peace in case I'm around somebody like you! ML