Background

Saturday, April 16, 2011

HOMOGRAPHS


Recently, I thought that a friend spelled a word incorrectly in a posting. Being helpful, and reacting the way I would want done for me, I sent an e-mail, thinking it was probably just a typo. In her response, she thought she had spelled it correctly, but in fact, she'd used an incorrect word, not an incorrect spelling. In telling my brother about it I said that the correct word was a "homonym" and could have been confusing; I was immediately corrected by being told it was a homograph! To add insult to injury he said, "Not to be confused with homophones and heteronyms!" Damn you, Smarty-Pants, for knowing that!

HOMOGRAPHS: words which are spelled the same but have different pronunciations: e. g.:

WOUND
MINUTE
PROGRESS
BASS
AGAPE
BOW
ENTRANCE
SEWER
LEARNED
MOPED
NUMBER
ABUSE
ADDRESS
CLOSE

O.K., Patty, send me some more!

4 comments:

Gail said...

To get a head start on this, how about CONTRACT, DOVE, REFUSE, TIER, AND POLISH.

Sue's News said...

Via e-mail from Patty:

TEAR
OBJECT
BUFFET
WIND
EVENING
ROW
LEAD
SUBJECT--and she can't help herself--PREDICATE

Mona Lisa said...

incense, advocate, project, accent, does, attribute, coordinate, axes, proceed, content, putting, desert, produce, digest, frequent, discount, and my favorite: BUSTIER!

Derek Myers said...

crooked
ellipses
lima (my favorite)
primer
wound