Background

Friday, June 10, 2011

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!




FROM A FACEBOOK FRIEND:

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150 and I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back and to delete it.

She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

The supervisor came and said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover Card and I didn't want to pay interest on a cash advance. I told them that if they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.

The supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order and re-scan everything.

The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed and a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier and she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning.

Can you imagine how many people went through before me and at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone: a coworker went to a store last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co-worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My coworker called the store which investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this:

This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this scam? To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!

1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

Was this at our UN-favorite store Wal Mart?