Background

Thursday, June 2, 2011

YOU'RE NO JACK KENNEDY

When Lloyd Bentsen and Dan Quayle had a debate in 1988, Dan Quayle committed what is considered by most people to be the most egregious gaffe in political debate by comparing himself to John F. Kennedy and Lloyd Bentsen gave the greatest putdown: "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy; I knew Jack Kennedy; Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine; Senator, YOU ARE NO JACK KENNEDY!"

Today, during a conversation with an acquaintance about an issue, the person actually compared himself to The Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. I was so taken aback that I could not think of adequate words to let him how how very insulting that was to the memory and legacy of Dr. King. I could not believe the hubris of someone comparing himself to one who had laid down his life for a cause.

I can only attribute his lack of perspective to the arrogance of youth. I should have said, "YOU ARE NO MLK!"


1 comment:

Mona Lisa said...

But the funny thing was that Bensten really was NOT a friend of JFK!