Background

Thursday, March 15, 2012

RED VELVET COOKIES


OK, I'll admit that I am a cooking SNOB. Yesterday my sister-in-law reminded me that I had once said, quite haughtily, "I've never used a cake mix."

Two weeks ago, at a lovely luncheon after a funeral, on the dessert table was a plate of sumptuous-looking cookies. After sampling one, I went back for a second. Not only were they delicious, but the cookies also demonstrated PIE (acronym in my family for "PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING"!). When I inquired who had made them, I was directed to Stacy Mabra and she told me they were very easy to make. I asked for the recipe and we exchanged e-mail addresses and she sent the recipe the same evening.

Imagine my surprise when the first item on the recipe was DUNCAN HINES CAKE MIX!

I made the cookies this week and took them to a gathering and three people asked for the recipe! My sister-in-law did not hesitate to mention my saying that I'd never used a cake mix!


RED VELVET COOKIES

1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet cake mix
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup softened butter

Mix together and roll into balls (about the size of your thumb and forefinger making a circle). Place on a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Let cool completely.

Spread filling on cookie and top with another cookie.

FILLING

1/4 cup softened butter
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together and spread on cooled cookies.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

Refrigerate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, where are mine?