Background

Friday, April 19, 2013

GRANNY'S HOUSE




A friend wrote on Facebook that she was saddened because she's been watching her grandmother's house being torn down and she's imbued with many fond memories.

When I pass my grandmother's house, I am always saddened. When I was a child, the house was white clapboard with green shutters. Now, the house is painted a horrid slate blue color on shingles with burgundy colored shutters. A couple of the shutters are coming apart and hanging lop-sided. It looks trashy!

I know that it was not a grand house, but it was nice. As I recall, there was large, dark woodwork throughout the house. My brothers and I used to enjoy sliding down the banister.

Two years ago I was circulating a petition and I went to that house to ask for signatures as I had checked the political affiliation of the residents. I had an ulterior motive: I was hoping to be invited into the house. As I went to the door, I was thrilled because the doorbell was the same--it's brass and one turns the handle to make the ringing noise--it must be at least 100 years old! I admit that I was trying to peek through the small windows beside the door, but the windows were so grimy, I could not see anything inside the house. My grandmother always had lace curtains at those windows. The stairway was adjacent to the front door. As one entered the house, the "parlor" was on the left side and the "living room" was to the right. I recall my mother and older brothers telling that when Grandpa died, he was "shown" in the parlor. Neil, who was four years old at the time, remembers that he told Grandpa to "get up"! As I was a year old, I have no memory of my grandfather. I was thirteen years old the the last time I was in the house.

When the owner came to the door, he came out onto the porch although he was barefooted! I even mentioned that it had been my grandparents' home, thinking that he might invite me to come in, but to no avail.

I've told Gerald, "If it's ever for sale, we should buy it." But, of course, I won't.

Although I have an excellent memory, Granny's house is probably not as "nice" as I remember!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at those shutters! ML

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at those shutters! ML

Anonymous said...

Oh, look at those shutters! ML

Anonymous said...

I love the front porch.lm