Background

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

METAPHYSICS


One day at work, I had a personal telephone call, and a man introduced himself and said that he had found my business card in a book he'd gotten at the library and he said he would like to "meet" me as we obviously shared the same interests!

I attempted to explain to him that I hadn't been to the library in more than a year and I had no idea how my business card got into the book.

It was obvious he did not believe me and he implied that perhaps I'd left the card in there as a flirtatious gesture or as a come-on.

I was indignant and I asked, "What book is it?" When he told me, I laughed and said, "Oh, I know of ONLY one person who would be reading that kind of book and would also have one of my business cards and carelessly leave it in a book!" I don't think he believed me but I said, "I'm going to give her telephone number to you and I INSIST that you call her and I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about!" I also said, "I am also going to call her and give your name and telephone number to her!"

The two actually got together--for a short time--which isn't surprising, because all of her relationships have been short-lived!

The book was about or by her favorite philosopher Alan Watts and it was some some sort of metaphysical treatise; she was forever foisting Watts' books on me and giving his books to me as presents.

She and I became friends in high school and have had an "on-again, off-again" relationship ever since. If a friend told me that she had no interest in a particular subject, I certainly would not give her books about the subject, but I'm not one to try to force my beliefs on others. To be her friend one MUST share her "belief system".

Perhaps that's the reason we're not truly friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

METAPHYSICS? Is she certifiable? ML