Background

Saturday, April 20, 2013

"SHOW TIME!"


The movie All That Jazz, was widely reported about, and undoubtedly is a roman a clef of the director Bob Fosse.

In the movie, no matter how bad his previous night and day had been, the actor Roy Scheider, portraying the character Joseph Gideon, does his morning routine: putting Visine drops in his eyes, drinking Alka Seltzer, taking Dexedrine, having a cigarette in the shower, and all the while listening to Vivaldi's Concert in G; then he finally looks in the mirror and says, "IT'S SHOW TIME, FOLKS!"

The movie was made in 1979, but after seeing the movie, on each day since, when I get out of my car to go to work, I say, to myself, "Show time!"

After I get to work and I'm asked how I am, I always say, "wonderful", "marvelous", "fantastic" or "fabulous", and even on a really bad day, I can still muster a "great"! I wish other people would put on their "game faces"; if only just occasionally! The repetitive moaning and groaning is, frankly, quite boring! Perhaps it's their lack of any other conversational gambit or they don't realize that very few people actually want to know "How are you?" I never use that as an opener, mainly because I know I would be in for an iteration of their maladies. I wish they were like the people in the accompanying definition from the URBAN DICTIONARY and at least give five minutes of conversation prior to enumerating their ailments.

Also, please see the following article from THE WISE GEEK:

Physically expressing an emotion - such as smiling - can trigger happiness.

Smiling has been found to increase feelings of happiness. Psychologists believe this is because the brain interprets the flexing of certain muscles to be indicative of a particular mood. For example, the zygomatic major is the facial muscle responsible for controlling the corners of the mouth.

When this muscle is flexed, it is thought that it triggers the neurological response that controls emotion. Another possibility is that smiling while around other people leads them to smile back, and the brain reads this as a social cue to feel happy.


CLICK HERE to see the YouTube video of All That Jazz.


Patient Zero

Typically an asshole that spends between five and ten minutes talking to you before mentioning casually that he/she is sick, causing you to wonder if you've now been infected by what this mouth breathing stick has. Usually it's just the common cold, but it could just as easily be ebola.
"I can't come in today, Patient Zero there got me sick yesterday when he was breathing all over the coffee cups."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are SO boring! ML