Background

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

R.I.P. RICHIE HAVENS


"WE'LL LAUGH, BUT WE'LL NEVER BE YOUNG AGAIN"

RICHIE HAVENS R.I.P.

Gerald, with tears in his eyes, delivered the news to me that our favorite performer, Richie Havens, had died. How can someone whom we only knew as a performer, have had such an impact on our lives? Although in the past, I was touched by the deaths of Audrey Hepburn and John Lennon, and recently, of Annette, my feelings tonight are of actual grief for this loss. Our lives (mine and Gerald's)are inextricably linked with Richie; we feel we grew up together.

I am reminded of the quote from Daniel Patrick Moynihan, on the death of President Kennedy: "We'll laugh, but we'll never be young again."

We were so very fortunate to have seen Richie numerous times in concert and small venues, and to sit and talk with him, and to feel we knew him.

We extend our deepest sympathy to Richie's family--his four daughters and grandchildren--and especially to his brother, Donald Havens, who replied to my BLOG article MEETING RICHIE HAVENS. (CLICK HERE to read that blog.)

CLICK HERE to read a story entitled "The voice of FREEDOM goes silent" about the death of Richie Havens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so pleased to see all the newscasts honoring him and heard Whoopi's tribute on "The View". I know how much you and Gerald loved him. ML