Monday, April 29, 2013


My brother had a fire at his home recently. He had purchased and installed a pellet-burning stove. At 11:00 PM, he turned off the stove and went to bed. At approximately 1:00 AM, he was awakened by the sound of a smoke alarm.

When he got up, the house was full of smoke and he could see flames coming from the stove. He got dressed, went outside, and called the fire department. The firefighters were able to extinguish the fire quickly.

Fortunately, the only damage was around the stove and the smoke damage throughout the house.

I had never seen smoke damage in a property. When I went to visit, it was truly mind-boggling. One of his walls is mirrored and I could not see myself in the mirror. The cleaners who came to clean took all of his appliances out of the house to clean them.

When asked about the fire, he was quoted in the newspaper: "The best $10.00 I ever spent was on the smoke detectors!"

We have told everybody to buy First Alert photoelectric smoke detectors.

He said that he bought his at Big Lots! No, they didn't have any when I went there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to start checking mine more than the times when the time changes! ML