Background

Monday, May 13, 2013

FORTUITOUS


We rarely have a "bad" meal at our house, but tonight was one for posterity!

I keep "convenience" packages in the freezer to use for those days when I haven't gotten to the store. Some of Stouffer's "entrees", such as the enchiladas, are acceptable. Les asked, "Which will it be tonight: pork and beans and wieners or this lovely addition?" As he held up a package, he read aloud this description: "BBQ SAUCE & BONELESS RIB SHAPED PATTIES." He shrieked with delight, "This sounds like McRibs--RIB-SHAPED PATTIES!" "Then he said, sotto voce, "In the fine print it says made with chicken, pork and beef." I said, "That's not exactly kosher combining chicken and beef." Les asked, "What about the pork?"

Gerald was able to eat his portion, but after one bite of the RIB SHAPED PATTIES, I pushed it aside. I am NOT a persnickety eater so it must be really bad for me not to be able to eat it!

Later, my brother Norman called and said that he was fixing his famous pork chops and potatoes. I said, "I'll be right out there!"

When I arrived, I said, "All the way out here, I was trying to think of the perfect word to describe your RESCUING me from the world's worst meal; your phone call was FORTUITOUS!"

When I got home, I told Les about saying "fortuitous". He asked, "Don't you think using fortunate rather than fortuitous would have been more nuanced?" NUANCED? I was ready to scream, but obediently went to the OED to see the difference between fortunate and fortuitous!

FORTUNATE means having unexpected good luck or fortune.
FORTUITOUS means happening by chance or coming or occurring by accident.

NUANCED? Sometimes I could slap him for always being right!

See the article from Richard Nordquist: CLICK HERE

So, Norman, your rescuing phone call was FORTUNATE for me!

NORMAN'S RECIPE FOR PORK CHOPS AND POTATOES:

4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons flour
4 small, 1-inch thick pork chops
1/2 pound potatoes, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Set aside. Reserve bacon fat in skillet. Place flour in a bag with salt and pepper to taste. Add pork chops and shake to coat with flour. Reserve any remaining flour.
Add coated pork chops to the skillet and brown on both sides. Remove pork chops. Add potatoes and garlic to the skillet and sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and rosemary to the skillet and sauté all for 2 more minutes. Add any reserved flour and stir well. Add wine and scrape up brown bits for flavor. Add beef broth and bring to a boil. Return chops to the skillet. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, turning over the pork chops one time. Stir in the vinegar. Pierce the potatoes to make sure they're thoroughly cooked. Serve with crumbled bacon on top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That recipe sounds great! ML