Background

Thursday, January 2, 2014

PENNINGTON BREAD KIDS

My friend Patty's daughter Susan posted a recipe on Facebook for "Crack Sticks" (see recipe) with the tag line that they are "addictive". I screaked at Les, "OMG, look at these; Mother used to make these when we were kids; she called them roll-ups." Les said he didn't remember them. I said, "We weren't as poor when you came along!" Her recipe was the same as the one posted here: flatten the pieces of bread with a rolling pin and add ingredients; sometimes Mother would add fruit.

My father, two of my brothers, and my husband worked at Pennington Bread and before the prevalence of "Bakery Thrift Stores", the employees were allowed to bring home the day-old products. (click here to see my BLOG article DAY OLD BREAD)

Although we always had plenty of bread, none was ever wasted! Dishes made from stale bread were staples: French toast, bread pudding, and "dressing" (how "stuffing" for turkey, etc., ever became known as "dressing" is beyond my comprehension!) were common and Mother also made "roll-ups".

Pennington Bread Company was purchased by Flowers Bakery and the plant closed; the Pennington label is now owned by Klosterman's. I bought a loaf of Pennington bread at Walgreen's today.

There was an award-winning set of television advertisements featuring the by-then elderly Morgan Pennington, the owner of Pennington Bread, giving grandfatherly advice to a grandchild. I would always make snide remarks about his being a hypocrite!

When those aired, I can recall a woman who had worked with my father and brothers at Pennington Bread, told me, "If I tell you something about Morgan Pennington, will you promise not to ever say anything?" Expecting something downright salacious, I said, "WOW! What is it?" She then told me that when Morgan Pennington was young he used to steal the tips of waitresses. I started laughing uproariously and I asked, incredulously, "That's it--that's the big secret--Hell, I thought you were going to tell me something scandalous!"

I remember going to Christmas parties at Pennington Bread and I can recall that not all of the kids got presents. Even as a kid, I knew that was so WRONG! But it taught me a very valuable life lesson: in my future work life, when I was in the position of making decisions about company Christmas parties, I always made certain that EACH child received a present of equal value! I guess I did learn something from the old skinflint--NOT to be like him!

"CRACK STICKS" recipe

1 loaf of bread, crusts removed
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, melted

Flatten slices of crustless bread with rolling pin.

In a bowl combine powdered sugar and cream cheese.

Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon and set aside.

Spread 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese/powdered sugar mixture on each slice of flattened bread. Roll up, jelly-roll style.

Brush with melted butter and then roll in cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Place on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 20" at 350 degrees until golden brown. (My mother used to turn them over after 10 minutes)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the OMAR commercials! ML

Susie said...

Hi Sue. Enjoyed reading your posts. In doing some research on Pennington Bread History (or trying to, mostly unsuccessfully), I came across your fun blog. I can't find anything that tells me when Pennington Bros. Inc. produced their bread and where exactly their bakery (ies?) was located. If you can steer me toward any info about it, I would appreciate it. I have a very cool blotter to sell on eBay and I'm thinking it's 1950ish, but I'm just guessing and I'd love to have more info. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Anonymous said...

Where on earth is that Walgreens???

I've been trying to find Pennington bread and Klosterman's website is not helping. We used to buy it locally (Delaware, Ohio), but that store went out of business. Can you help?!?!?