Background

Monday, January 27, 2014

PERIDOT

It happened again to me: that awkward moment when I pronounced a word and then someone repeated the word after me, but pronounced it a different way, obviously tried to let me know that I had mispronounced it!

The latest is PERIDOT. At a recent gathering of Gerald's family, a person asked me the birthstone for August and I said, "PEAR-UH-DOT". The person immediately said, "I have a PEAR-UH-DOE ring."

I know that my family and friends will not believe this, but I actually let it pass!

When I told Les, he erupted with laughter and asked, "How are you plotting your revenge?"

I said, "When I'm alone with her, I'll merely play the online pronunciation." (listen below)

Les said, "Can't help yourself, can you?"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always thought it's DOE! ML