Background

Saturday, February 8, 2014

BRIGGITY REVISITED

On Sunday a friend used the word "briggity" and I pounced, "HOW do you spell that?" After recovering from the shock of my practically shrieking at her, she said that she didn't know how it was spelled, because she'd never seen it in print but that her mother had always used the word. I told her that my mother also used the word but I had never heard it used outside my family and that I'd written a BLOG article about it.

When I told her how we spell it, she said that perhaps it had a "d" sound rather than the "t" sound we gave it. I said, "I'll look up briggidy and briggedy, and other possible spellings."

I went to Google and typed in the words. None of those had any reference, but I typed in "definition of briggety"and voila, there it was! I should have done that the first time rather than Googling the individual words.

In contemplating writing this, I returned to my original article (CLICK HERE to see BRIGGITY) and I saw a comment that had been posted by a fellow BLOGGER named "Miracle Mommy" and she had also been trying to find out about the word and she happened on my article on Google Blogger.

I sent an e-mail to her to let her know where to find the information.

Briggity is a word used in Appalachia and can be found in the Dictionary Of American Regional English and it does mean "too big for one's britches".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen you briggity! ML

Anonymous said...

I was googling this word and came across your blog post. My family used this word, especially my grandparents (in Appalachia of course). I always understood it to mean "rambunctious" or "over-excited."

Jody said...

I grew up with "briggety" (or however you spell it), but realized all of a sudden one day I hadn't heard anybody outside of my hometown ever use the word and had also never seen it in print.I called a friend to ask if she'd heard or seen it outside of our WV home, and she hadn't either.

It's hard for me to pin down a perfect meaning, but "too big for one's britches" comes close. I would also add that "briggety" also has connotations of being bossy. For some reason, I have it in my head that it refers to girls more than boys and children more than adults.