Background

Friday, February 7, 2014

CASCADING TUPPERWARE

I like the "DO YOU REMEMBER THESE?" postings on Facebook. A wringer-washer, Boston pencil sharpener, and centerpiece for 45 records, have been posted recently. Today, a Facebook friend posted a picture of a Tupperware bowl key chain. She had the caption that her mother sold Tupperware and the bowl key chain was the best seller.

My mother used to carry her crushed red pepper in one of those bowl key chains, because the food at restaurants was never HOT enough for her! In the 1960s my sister-in-law Betty sold Tupperware and my mother and I bought many pieces and also received them as gifts from Betty. In the intervening years I've replaced the famous Tupperware salt and pepper shakers three times: one set got too close to a stove burner; I gave one set to a nephew who loved them because of Grandma; and the "S" and "P" wore off another set.

I have something in common with Oprah: she is very possessive of her Tupperware! Also like myself, when she has dinner parties she likes to give leftovers to guests to take home, but she warns them that they better return those containers. I no longer send food in Tupperware but use the ones by Glad, etc. All of my family and friends know that those damned containers better be returned if they ever expect to take home anything else!

I rarely use the Tupperware containers any more but keep them stored in a cabinet above the refrigerator which is used for seldom-used items. When I hear Les mumbling and cursing when getting out the big broth pot, for example, I know that he's been hit by cascading Tupperware! He hates the Tupperware!

My friend Lori puts a note on my refrigerator and checks it off when she returns with the containers. We laugh when my brother returns containers which have held noodles, only to refill them with more noodles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention that I gave you some brand-new Glad containers! ML