Background

Thursday, February 27, 2014

IRONIC/PATHETIC

A friend sent a Huffington Post article (see here) about the misuse of the word "ironic".

I wrote back that I had discussed with numerous people about the misuse of ironic AND pathetic.

One man in particular--a racist, sexist, homophobic BLOVIATOR--who posted his bigoted rants nearly every day on a Facebook site, misused the word "pathetic". When I corrected him he was furious.

Another time he used the phrase "unmitigated gall"; I answered that Joan Crawford's use of the phrase in the movie Mildred Pierce was far more effective than his imitative use. Knowing that the man is an anti-Semite, I added, "Those JEWISH screenwriters are SO, SO quotable and you should ATTRIBUTE!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw your Facebook posting of why you would never buy a Ford! It's ironic! ML