Background

Monday, February 3, 2014

LEECHERS

So, my husband has a "touch of the flu", according to an Emergency Room doctor. Gerald has had cold symptoms for a week but yesterday he was in bed all day, did not eat all day, vomited 4 times, was feverish, and had abdominal pains. We went to the local nurse practitioner and she advised taking him to the ER because she thought he was dehydrated. We were at the ER from 7:30 PM until 1:00 AM.

I actually liked the doctor. He "got" something amusing I said and reacted with a "TAH-DAH" just like an old Vaudeville trouper!

When he was checking Gerald's lungs he told him to say "99" and explained that was an old-time method used in checking lungs before the use of X-rays. I said, "You don't look old enough to pre-date Dr. Roentgen." He said, "I'm impressed you know that."

By 12:30 AM we were the only ones remaining in the ER and while waiting for his release papers, we were having an enjoyable time with the doctor and nurse. The doctor began telling about other old-time medical practices and I mentioned the use of maggots and leeches. I mentioned how doctors used to be called "leechers" and that they only became known as doctors when they stole the title "doctor" from teachers to have some respectability from the barber shop! The doctor asked how I knew about leeches and I told him I was a person who's interested in history.

I have used the "leecher" reference when I heard MDs be condescending toward PhDs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Roentgen? You are absolutely too much! LOL

ML

Anonymous said...

Dr. Roentgen? You are absolutely too much! LOL

ML