Background

Sunday, March 20, 2016

MY MARCH MADNESS METHOD



First, let me say that I am currently abysmally ignorant about sports.  However, as a youngster, I was a walking compendium of sports knowledge as I was under the influence of my sports-loving brothers and father.  After moving from home and meeting my husband, my interest in sports vanished because Gerald's only interests are golfing and auto-racing, which much to his irritation, I told him that those really aren't sports.

Several years ago, my friend Charles was filling out the brackets for the NCAA championship. As I had made an enlarged copy for him to use, I had the original copy from the newspaper.  As a lark, I also filled out the form.  Charles laughed at my choices and methods for choosing.  I told him, "There is a method to my madness!" Charles kept the forms and would call me after each game, breathlessly, to tell me how we fared in our competition.

Imagine his shock--and mine--when I chose 48 of 64 correctly and he had 32!

My brother told me that I should enter the next year's competition because I fared better than most of the "experts".

Some of my method:  I always choose Syracuse because they are the "Orangemen" and my family came from Northern Ireland.  Immediately suffering from Liberal guilt for choosing something for ethnic reasons, I immediately chose some Catholic colleges.  I chose Gonzaga because I recalled that it was Bing Crosby's alma mater and a double-whammy, it is also a Catholic school. I chose Butler because Gerald's mother was born there in Indiana. I chose Ohio State because I feared for my own safety from my basketball-crazed friends if I did not choose THE Ohio State University team.  


So, of course, I actually have NO method!

This year I had a dilemma:  my, oh, my:  an Ohio Catholic school--the UD Flyers vying against my beloved Orangemen--I chose Syracuse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to the ORANGEMEN! ML