Background

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

THE PAIR ON THE GROUND

Some time ago, I had read that Biblical scholars believed that the "apple" in the Garden of Eden had to be a pomegranate because apples were not indigenous to Mesopotamia. In a discussion with a friend who believes in the literal translation of the Bible, I mentioned the apple/pomegranate quandary.  I quipped that I could see why there was so much trouble in the Garden because of the difficulty with eating pomegranates. (I also told her the problem wasn't the apple on the tree but the PAIR on the ground but she doesn't share my love of puns.)


I have never liked pomegranates and thought they were more bother than they were worth, but I asked another friend, who loves pomegranates, to give an in-person demonstration of easy-opening techniques.  He sent the YouTube demonstration:

As Kroger had pomegranates on sale--10 for $10--I thought it wouldn't be a too expensive trial.

I love Sandro Botticelli's painting of "The Madonna Of The Pomegranate", and pomegranates are a traditional food at Rosh Hashana, but I still DON'T like pomegranates!



The French word for pomegranate is GRENADE; the syrup GRENADINE was originally made only with pomegranates from GRENADA, but the most fascinating tidbit to me is that HAND GRENADES are called that because grenades resemble pomegranates. Oh, those French have a way with words.

No comments: