Background

Friday, March 24, 2017

CAT'S HEAD BISCUITS


In a conversation with my "Wild Lunch Bunch" my friend Lee asked if we made Cat's Head Biscuits, and I was the only one who had heard of them.  I said, "they're called that because they are as big as a cat's head!"  





When I went home I told my brother I needed to look up the recipe.  He said, "It's probably right with your recipe for Puppy Dumplings."

When I was a child, my mother made delicious drop dumplings in leftover soups and stews and even in blackberry juice.  She called them "puffy dumplings", but when my oldest brother was little, he thought she said "puppy" dumplings;  it's always been a family saying to call them "puppy dumplings"rather than puffy dumplings or drop dumplings. 

Asa young bride I learned that my husband liked his mother's drop dumplings.  Naturally wanting to please him, I decided to make drop dumplings although I had never made them before.  I called my mother to get her recipe and that evening I prepared the dumplings in leftover beef stew.  However, I mistakenly put a tablespoon of batter in the broth instead of a teaspoon and the result was gigantic drop dumplings.  When I told Gerald we were having "puppy dumplings" for dinner, he gave one glance and said, "They look more like St. Bernard Dumplings!"

No comments: