Background

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

CROTCHETY, CONTINUED (MY TWO CENTS)

It's bad enough to endure panhandlers coming up to our cars at stop lights or those Shriners with their buckets, but now store clerks are "guilt-tripping" me!  Am I the only one who is irritated when the clerks ask, "Do you want to donate a dollar to the Miracle Kids Network?" or, "Do you want to round up for the Food Bank?"  I complained to the Manager that I didn't appreciate being "guilt-tripped"!

Today I was at the Family Dollar Store and the clerk asked if I wanted to donate my "change" to a Kids Reading Program. Although that cause would touch my heart,  I resented feeling coerced and refused.  

Perhaps it is my imagination, but I think the clerks raise their voices so others in line can hear.
I sometimes ask, "Will I receive a receipt for tax purposes?"  When they aren't dumbfounded, they will usually say it's on the receipt.  I answer, "No, I would need a formal receipt!"

Once, in a drive-through, I had two cents change forthcoming. The clerk tossed the two pennies into a receptacle under the window.  I said, "I want my change."  She looked startled and said, "I put it in there.", pointing down toward the receptacle. I answered, "Yes, I saw that, but you didn't ask me;  I want the money or get your Manager."  She got into her pocket and said, "I only have a nickel."  I answered, "Then make change." She asked, "You really mean that?" I replied, "Yes, I want my two cents!"





No comments: