Background

Thursday, March 30, 2017

TAKEN ABACK

Quite often, when I am in stores, I have people ask me the whereabouts of items.  If I know about the requests, I always respond with an answer but then I look at the clothes I'm wearing to see if the clothes resemble a uniform.  I always wonder if--and why-- they think I work at the stores.

It happened again today when a man and woman approached me;  the woman was in a wheelchair, and she asked, "Do you have any craft supplies here?"  Obviously, she assumed I worked there.  I was wearing black slacks, a black turtleneck sweater, and a turquoise jacket trimmed in black which in no way resembled the smocks worn by the store employees.  Later, relating the story to my brother, he asked, "Why don't you just ask them why they think you work there?"  I said, "I'm always taken aback and just give them the information." 


I was sorting through a bin of $3.00 movies. Oftentimes, I am on the lookout for bargain bin movies which I, Gerald, Les, and a number of family and friends might want.

I have a specific method of sorting.  I take out 20 movies, put them in the shopping cart, then stack the remainder in piles, working my way around the bin, which enables me to see all the titles.  I always compliment myself that this also helps other shoppers.

A woman came up to MY bin (yes, I realize I am very territorial during my pursuit) and began looking at movies, but she was ruining my method as she was tossing the movies willy-nilly around the bin.  I asked, "Are you looking for something in particular?"  She answered, "Nah."  I said, "I keep a list of ones I'd like to find." and I produced my fat notebook of lists which I maintain.  She looked at me as if I were the craziest person she'd ever met.  She said, "Oh, I thought you worked here."  Fortunately for me, she left quickly before she completely destroyed my process.  

Success:  I found a copy of Touch Of Evil which my sister-in-law wants!



  • Comments

  • Write a comment.

No comments: