Background

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

JONQUILS, DAFFODILS, AND NARCISSUS

My mother always called these spring flowers "jonquils" but according to the American Daffodil Society, generally the term "jonquil" denotes "N. jonquilla", with small yellow flowers, while "daffodil"refers to large flowered varieties in numerous colors, and "narcissus" to small flowered and early blooming types.  Mother always referred to the bed of white "paper whites" in the front yard as "narcissus";  I call all of them daffodils.

Below is my article from last year ( I only get to "throw" the word "jocund" into conversations once a year!)   

                                           JOCUND COMPANY


My daffodils are blooming.  I am a happy girl.

As Wordsworth wrote in his poem Daffodils:

"A poet could not be but gay
In such a jocund company"

and

"And then my heart with pleasure fills
And dances with the daffodils."

(picture of four varieties of daffodils from our yard)







     

.

No comments: