Background

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

JUDGE NOT REDUX

After reading yesterday's article  All This Free Stuff, my friend Mona Lisa called to say, "Hey, you should tell about your friends who volunteer at the Food Pantry."  I said, "I already wrote about that."

Below is a Sue's News article from 2014:

                                                 JUDGE NOT



In a conversation with a person who is a "volunteer" at the local Food Pantry, the woman stated that there were people coming there driving "brand-new cars" to which I answered, "Isn't the Food Pantry downstairs at the church? Do you mean that you follow people upstairs to see what kind of cars they drive?"

Of course she was miffed that I had confronted and exposed her pettiness and obvious untruthfulness.  She said, "Well, you don't see them!"  I told her that she did not actually know the situations of people and that their cars might be the only asset they have and that perhaps friends and relatives with good cars might be kind enough to take them as they probably could not afford public transportation.

I added that I had taken my nephew (who has no vehicle) to the Food Pantry to get groceries and I was driving my brand-new car; I also said that his aunt and uncle also took him to the Food Pantry in their late-model vehicles. We do this because he cannot afford the cost of transportation. Would she be judging him for getting into a "nice" vehicle?

I think it's an Urban Myth about people in fancy cars at the Food Pantry; the last time I was there, I saw a large amount of people waiting for public transportation and a number of people getting into old cars. I saw no Cadillacs or Mercedes which have insignias I recognize. In fact, I gave rides to two guys who were acquaintances of my nephew and all three told me that they had to wait a long time for transportation.


I cannot imagine the degree of humiliation they feel at needing the assistance of the Food Pantry.

No comments: