Background

Monday, July 24, 2017

SAINT BERNARD DUMPLINGS

When I was a child, my mother made delicious drop dumplings in leftover soups and stews. She called them "puffy dumplings" but when my oldest brother was little, he thought that she said "puppy dumplings" so it's always been a family saying to call them "puppy dumplings".

As a young bride, I learned that my husband liked his mother's drop dumplings. Naturally, wanting to please him, I decided to make drop dumplings. I had never made drop dumplings before and I called to ask my mother for the recipe and that evening I prepared the dumplings. However, I mistakenly put a tablespoon of batter instead of a teaspoon in the broth and the result was enormous drop dumplings. When I told my husband that we were having "puppy dumplings" for dinner, he took one look at them and said, "Those look more like Saint Bernard dumplings!"

No comments: