Background

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

THE IRISH SPORTS PAGE

The Irish call the obituary section of the newspaper "The Irish Sports Page".  


I am looking forward to reading Carl Reiner's new book Too Busy To Die. I enjoyed Reiner's HBO special If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast where he conducted conversations with Mel Brooks and Norman Lear about aging, and interviewed fellow nonagenarians Dick Van Dyke, Stan Lee, Betty White, Tony Bennett, and other not-so-famous people such as Henriette Thompson, who at 93, is the oldest woman to have run and completed a marathon;  Ida Kelly (101), who works out daily; Tao Porchon-Lynch (98), a yoga teacher who marched with Gandhi in the 1940s;  and Jim Martin (95), a D-Day veteran, who still parachutes.  He also interviewed two 101-year-olds: Kirk Douglas and Patricia Morison. 

I have been a fan of Reiner since his appearances on The Dick Van Dyke Show.  I treasure his recordings of The 2,000 Year Old Man with Mel Brooks.  To this day, my brother Les and I still do shtick from those recordings from the 1960s and 1970s.  We wore out the vinyl records and replaced them with CDs.  I have numerous tapes of their television appearances portraying the character.



Below is one of our favorites:

 



No comments: