Background

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

11-YEAR-OLD LONDON GIRL COMMITS SUICIDE


The headline is shocking (see article HERE); yet another child dies because of bullying. I can't think of adequate words to comfort the parents. "What if?"........ There are no answers for them.

Bullying was prevalent when I was a girl, but it is worse today, because of the social media there is far greater access and possibility of greater injury. When I was a girl, there were plenty of "mean girls" but nearly everything was done in person, at school, or by vicious notes, gossip, and telephoning. Although I know that the "mean girls" in schools attempted their bullying with me, I was a fighter--and quick with retorts--so, although I was wounded, I survived.

Can we ever let go of the shame and fear of not belonging? Do we recreate high school in the ways we treat and interact with others? Are the cruel words permanently damaging?

Someone said that we never get over high school. It's true--why else would I NEED to write SCHADENFREUDE?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think schools care for the most part ML