Background

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

INAUGURATION


My brother asked, "Did you notice some people saying in-AW-guh-RAY-shun this year?" He said he'd heard several newscasters pronounce it that way.

I replied that I hadn't noticed, but that I still had some inaugural events recorded and I would listen again; when I re-visited the recordings, I heard one of the commentators mispronounce it!

I couldn't find any dictionary which gave "in-AW-guh-RAY-shun" as a proper pronunciation, but when I checked two sources online ("how j say" and "Pronounce How"), both had the pronunciation as in-AW-guh-RAY-shun! (Hear the pronunciation HERE)

BUT, we are still saying:

in-aw-ghuh-RAY-shun
in-AW-gyuh-rate
in-AW-gyuh-rel

We'll see if it is totally corrupted in four years at the next inauguration!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're on a roll this year! ML