Background

Thursday, February 7, 2013

CRINGE 2013


Since publishing SHERBERT, I have had a great outpouring of CRINGE-worthy materials! Although some words may have been used in other CRINGE postings, I am posting all I've received since SHERBERT, and thanks to all the contributors!!

IG-ZAK-LEE for exactly
POM POMS for POM PONS (two people battled over this one!)
DOC-U-MEN-TERRY for documentary
WIS-GAH-SUN for Wisconsin
MO-DEM for modem
POIN-SETT-UH for Poinsettia
IS-REAL for Israel
DRAW for drawer
CE-REE-BRILL PAW-ZEE for cerebral palsy
ORRY for awry
HARRIS for harass
CANNIDATE for candidate
FED-RULL for federal
FILLUM for film
LIT-RUH-LEE for literally
REE-DICK-U-LUS for ridiculous
DISCUSS for disgust
THEE-ATE-ER for theater
WIMPLE-TON for Wimbledon
JEW-LUH-REE for jewelry
LIE-BERRY for library
LIDDER-CHURE for literature
DOMINATE for dominant
CHROMOSONE for CHROMOSOME
NORTH CARE-LINE-UH for North Carolina
ORANGUTANG for orangutan
PISH-ERR for picture
PITCHER for picture
COLLAR for color (my mother hated that one!)
PROBLY for probably
PROLLY for probably
MISS-CHEEV-EE-US for mischievous
WALMARK for Wal-Mart
BAD-MITTEN for badminton
DOOL-ESS AIRPORT for Dulles
CUMF-TUR-BULL for comfortable
WOI-YER for warrior
BATT-REE for battery
CUM-BER-BUN for cummerbund
WAH-LAH for voila
INNER-NET for internet
PUNDINT for pundit (Oprah was heard saying it!)

and I have saved the BEST for last:

PRO-NOUN-CEE-A-SHUN for pronunciation!

1 comment:

Arminta said...

I'm going to admit that there are at least three words on your list that I mispronounce, including pom pons, which I've always thought was Pom poMs until I read your list. I don't know if I've ever really seen it written before. For some, I KNOW the correct word but I'm just a little lazy about it, like "probably". One thing I see all the time in the banking world is people using the word withdraw when they mean withdrawal. You can't hear much difference, but I've had memos from people in high positions who write things like "if the customer wants to make a withdraw..." and it makes me cringe. Something I always notice about President Obama is how he says "shore" for "sure". "We have to make shore our young people can find jobs when they graduate...."