Background

Friday, February 1, 2013

POLLY FLINDERS


A friend sent the following blog item to me. I told her it's a keeper! I especially liked the part about "flinders".

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog

I am always interested in HOW we learn things. I did not remember the nursery rhyme Little Polly Flinders:

Little Polly Flinders
Sat among the cinders,
Warming her pretty little toes.
Her mother came and caught her
For spoiling her nice, new clothes.
And smacked her little daughter.

Polly Flinders was a line of beautiful hand-smocked dresses which were very popular in the 1960s and 1970s. The dresses were made for the ages of infant to size 12. I bought Polly Flinders dresses for my goddaughter from the time she was born until around the age of nine or ten (when, of course, she hated those "prissy" dresses). My goddaughter's mother would have her picture taken in the new dress every year.

I will admit that I was influenced in buying the dresses because Caroline Kennedy was photographed wearing Polly Flinders dresses.

Imagine my pleasure when my goddaughter told me that she brought her daughter home from the hospital in the same Polly Flinders dress that her mother had used more than twenty years ago! I always knew that she had appreciated the dresses, but did not realize that she'd kept them. I love tradition!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those mothers were mean in nursery rhymes! ML