Background

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

MUGWUMP

A friend sent an article: "10 Old English Words You Should Be Using" (see here).

I must admit that the only one I know of the 10 words is "MUGWUMP". I remember the term from high school American History class and the famous cartoon.

I recall that the Mugwumps were Republicans who supported Democrat Grover Cleveland rather than Republican James G. Blaine. Charles Dana coined the phrase "Mugwumps" by writing that those turncoats had their "mugs" on one side of the fence and their "wumps" on the other side of the fence!

I like the other nine words, but doubt if I'll be throwing them in to any conversations although I was UHTCEARE this very morning (it means "lying awake before dawn and worrying". I was worried about this BLOG article!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there are mugwumps today! ML