Background

Friday, May 16, 2014

JAGWIRES

I was a captive audience during the NFL draft picks as I was dining at a local eatery which features big-screen televisions with sports programs playing. I know very little about football, but I had heard of Johnny Manzell; three guys at the bar were discussing which team might draft him.

As I was listening, I heard several people say "JAGWIRES", not only by the guys at the bar but also from the television announcer. My companion knew less about sports than I, but when I returned home, I asked Les, "What the Hell are Jagwires?"

He laughed and said, "Those are the Jacksonville Jaguars; it's a very common mispronunciation."

When I googled it, I was surprised to learn just how common it is (CLICK HERE to see article from The New York Times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you expect from football fans? ML