Background

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

O HOLY NIGHT (CANTIQUE DE NOEL)

I recall the first time I heard my favorite Christmas song performed.  When I was in the sixth grade we were in a Christmas assembly at school and Lester Vincent, who was a classmate of my older brother Kenny, sang O Holy Night.  I learned later that it was a translation of a French song--Cantique de Noel--but even at that young age,  I was touched, moved, and impressed by the words, especially the second verse which contains:

"Truly he taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother,
And in His name all oppression shall cease."


Listen to Placido Domingo sing:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only YOU would remember the first time you heard a song! ML