Background

Sunday, June 4, 2017

FRUMPY

Today, at a fundraiser, a friend said, "Oh, you're always dressed up;  you never look frumpy."  I answered, "That's my goal in life;  never to look frumpy."  

Later, at home, I mentioned the conversation to my brother and he said,  "She should see you in your gardening outfit!"  I laughed and said, "Oh, that's shabby chic!"  He said, "In your alliterative dreams, maybe!"

I said, "I don't think I've heard the term 'frumpy' used in years."  He said, "What's the difference between that and dowdy?"  I said, "They're synonymous, I think."  

He asked, "How about frowzy?" I said, "I'm going to look it up!"  He said, "Look up slatternly while you're at it."

FRUMPY:       dowdy and old-fashioned

DOWDY:        unfashionable and without style

FROWZY:      scruffy and neglected in appearance

SLATTERNLY:  dirty and untidy

I commented, "Isn't it interesting that all of these derogatory terms are reserved for women?"

No comments: