Background

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

THE LADY OF THE HOUSE....


HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my husband.  The article below is from Sue's News, published in 2010.  It is still my favorite story about my husband.

   

        MY FAVORITE STORY ABOUT MY HUSBAND

When we moved into our home twenty-five years ago, my husband still had his hippie long hair.  Shortly after we had moved in, he was outside, tearing down a rotted fence.  He was dressed in shorts, muscle shirt, and flip-flops, with his hair tied in a pony-tail. Bob Mace, our back-door neighbor, was also one of our County Commissioners.

Gerald came in the house and told the following story:  Mr. Mace leaned across the fence and asked him, "How much do they pay you to do that kind of work?" Gerald answered, "Oh, they don't pay me anything, but the lady of the house lets me sleep with her."  I said, "Oh, no, do you think he believed you?  What did he say?"  Gerald said that he walked away quickly without saying another word. I was incredulous and asked, "Why on earth did you say that?  You usually have good manners."   Gerald laughed and said, "Oh, I think he was being a little condescending and I wanted to shock him!"

The next evening, Mr. Mace and his wife came to the door, with a pan of apple strudel, and I invited them to come in to visit. He had obviously checked the voter registration roll as he said, "We just wanted to welcome some good Democrats to the neighborhood." I told him that we had always voted for him. He proceeded to ask me about where we worked, etc. When he asked about my"hubby", I said, "You actually met him yesterday;  let me tell him you're here;  he'll be glad to see you again!"

Gerald was unaware that the Maces had come to welcome the "good Democrats" to the neighborhood. I went to the staircase and yelled; Gerald came bounding down the stairs with his hippie hair bouncing freely.

Whenever I tell the story, I say that it was ALMOST worth the price of the house to see the priceless expression on Bob Mace's face when he saw the one who slept with 'the lady of the house'!

Mr. Mace tried to apologize to Gerald, but Gerald stopped him by saying, "I've already told the story ten times and I'll probably tell it a hundred more times!" Gerald also told him that the quote wasn't original but that Carl Rowan had said it to a neighbor when he moved into an upscale suburb in Cleveland.

Gerald said, "If you're going to swipe something, make sure it's a good quote!"

No comments: