Background

Saturday, May 12, 2018

COGITO ERGO SUM


A small group (Elizabeth, Kris, Dan, Jack, and I) were sitting around talking and the topic of difficult school subjects was mentioned and Dan immediately began telling about when he was in a Geometry class and he couldn't understand it. He ended his monologue by saying. "It was all Greek to me!"

In unison, Jack, Kris and I erupted in laughter and Jack exclaimed, "That's because it WAS Greek!",  Dan asked what was so funny. Jack said, "It was a Greek who created Geometry: Pythagoras." Kris said, "No, it was Euclid; that's why it's Euclidian Geometry."

Jack mused aloud, "I think, therefore I am."

 Kris answered, "But that's NOT Greek, it's Latin!" and then said, " You know, Cogito ergo sum."

I said, "But that was Rene Descartes; that's the Latin translation but it was originally in French: "Je pense donc je suis."

Jack said, "You two are just showing off now."

Dan said, "This is all  still Greek to me too!"

No comments: