Background

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

"DOWN THERE"


My mother never liked to use scientific words for "private" body parts. As a youngster, as soon as I learned the "correct" names for the anatomy I would insist on using those words but Mother would always cringe at hearing them and would say, "Do you have to say words like THAT?"One time I said, "Mother, it's much better than saying tallywhacker!" 

One day we were talking about childhood accidents and my brother Kenny told about a medical questionnaire for the service and he said that he wrote that he had a scar on his scrotum from a zipper accident as a little boy. My mother shrieked and said, "You told them you had a scar DOWN THERE?" He laughed and said, "Mom, DOWN THERE just wasn't specific enough for the Air Force."

My sister-in-law took her baby boy to the doctor and asked him to check his tallywacker. The doctor said, "I've heard it called a lot of things, but never that!"


Mother loved Oprah and watched her every day and would always report about what Oprah had to say. I had only seen snippets of Oprah's show but after Mother died, I asked Les to tape Oprah as it was comforting to me to watch Mother's favorite. After Dr. Oz started appearing on the show, the first time I heard Oprah say "V-J-J", I was taking a drink of Coca Cola and I literally did a spit-take, coughing, choking, with liquid coming from my nose, and laughing, I thought, "Oh, that would have made Mother so happy to hear V-J-J for vagina!"

No comments: