Background

Friday, January 6, 2012

"DOES HE REALIZE IT'S JUST BOILED CHICKEN?"



I was watching Dr. Oz and his guest was the chef Ming Tsai. They were discussing the marvelous health benefits and splendid taste of "LEMON-GRASS, BRAISED GINGER CHICKEN". Gerald was listening and as he likes Asian food, he said that it sounded very good and he'd like to try it. I said that I would get the recipe from DrOz.com and make it. As they listed the ingredients Gerald asked what the "turmeric", "star anise", "Thai bird chilis" and "tamari" were and I told him about each one and when it came to "daikon" I said, "You know daikon; you've had it at the Korean restaurant and you've tasted it in Carol's cooking." I told him that daikon was a giant, Asian white radish. He asked, "Aren't all radishes white?" I answered, "No, you know the ones you have in the garden are red ones." He said, "Well, they're white inside." I told him, "Daikon is one of the side dishes at the Korean restaurant." He said, "I probably didn't know what I was eating!" [My sister-in-law Carol is Korean and because of her I am very familiar with daikon and many other Asian fruits and vegetables.]

Of the ingredients I do not have, Kroger has only the daikon and ginger root available. I must make a trip to Lee's Market in Columbus to acquire the lemon-grass, star anise and Thai bird chilis. I have the other ingredients.

When I showed the recipe to Les he asked, "Does Gerald realize that this is just a BOILED chicken with some vegetables and broth?"

LEMON-GRASS GINGER BRAISED WHOLE CHICKEN WITH DAIKON

4 stalks lemon-grass (white only), crushed
1 large hand of ginger, sliced
1 whole, fresh turmeric root, sliced
1 medium daikon, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch batons
4 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large carrots, peeled and roll-cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch dicing
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 star anise
3 Thai bird chilis
1/2 cup naturally brewed soy sauce or naturally gluten-free tamari sauce
2 quarts chicken stock
canola oil for cooking
kosher salt and black pepper for seasoning
1 5-6 pound chicken with wing tips folded over the back

Heat a large wide pot or Dutch oven; add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
Add celery, carrots, onions, peppercorns, star anise, lemon-grass, turmeric, chilis, ginger and soy sauce.
Cook 2-3 minutes until it is aromatic and the vegetables are softened. Add the stock and adjust seasoning.
Season the chicken inside and out with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the pot with the breast side up.
It should be completely covered with stock; if not, add more.
Cover and over medium heat, just bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and barely simmer for 30 minutes.
Add the daikon and simmer 15 minutes more. Turn off heat and let the pot stand, covered for 30 minutes to 1 hour
(the chicken will stop cooking after setting 30 minutes).
Remove the chicken from the pot. Strain the broth, reserving the vegetables. Taste the broth and adjust for taste.
Carve the chicken and serve with the vegetables and bowls of the broth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be over to eat!