Background

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THYROID CANCER


FROM: PATTY BURCH

Recently, Dr. Oz had a show about the fastest growing cancer in women which is thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program; he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms. He demonstrated that on the apron dentists put on patients for dental x-rays, there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around the patient's neck. Many dentists don't bother to use it. Also, there is something called a "thyroid guard" for use during mammograms.

By coincidence, I had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer. I asked why it wasn't routinely used. Answer: "I don't know; you have to ask for it." Well, if I hadn't seen the show, how would I have known to ask?

We need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers, and to all of our female friends and husbands: tell your wives! I just did, now you send it on to your list.

No comments: