Background

Thursday, August 1, 2013

DECOMPOSING

I had a number of groaning responses to my BLOG article I THINK I CAN HANDEL IT, but that won't deter me!

There's more!

1. Do you know what Handel has been doing for the past 250 years?
Sung out, in the tune of The Hallelujah Chorus: "DECOMPOSING!"

2. Which classical music composer married his high school?"
Gustav--he married his ALMA MAHLER!"

3. My greatest classical music joke; I only hope I can do it justice; it really needs to be spoken for the full effect:

Ludwig Von Beethoven was laboring over his Fifth Symphony and his mother, a poor, peasant, Jewish woman, brought him some cookies and milk, and Ludwig, clearly irritated, knocked them away saying, "I can't be bothered, Mother!" Shortly after, he felt guilty and called for her and said, "Come, Mother, perhaps you can inspire me!" She said, "Oh, Ludwig, how can I, a poor, peasant, Jewish woman inspire you, who are such a genius? Oh, Ludwig, that is so funny: HA-HA-HA; HA-HA-HA (said to the opening bars of the 5th Symphony)!"

4. What did Beethoven have for a snack? "BA-NA-NA-NA!" (sung to the opening bars of the 5th Symphony)

Please enjoy Sid Caesar's Argument, set to the Fifth Symphony. I used to say that my definition of an intellectual was someone who could listen to The William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger or listen to Also Sprach Zarathustra without thinking of Promise margarine! I can't hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony without thinking of the joke and Sid Caesar and Nannette Fabray's argument!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why did Bach have so many children? He didn't have a STOP on his organ! ML