Background

Saturday, August 31, 2013

GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL

I know that "everybody" says "Grand Central Station", but, of course, it is actually Grand Central Terminal. I recall when I learned it: in 1975, when Mrs. Kennedy-Onassis was a member of the group Committee To Save Grand Central Terminal which was formed to prevent the Terminal from being demolished.

I was at a gathering recently and someone said that it was like Grand Central Station there. Mother always criticized my correcting people (except her mother!), and I am certainly not going to try the tack others use of saying what they believe is a correct pronunciation just after one has committed a supposed faux pas. (CLICK HERE to see my article "SHERBET".)

If I think it's interesting, I will broach the subject as I did, which is, "I've always found it interesting that people think Grand Central is a station, but is actually a terminal." [Hey, my Grandfather was a Railroad man!]

Les said, "What does it matter? Nobody cares."

I said, "AHA! You are wrong; the person who used the word station was NOT offended and asked the difference!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AHA moment: Jackie o's group was to save Grand Central Station--not terminal! ML