Background

Sunday, August 4, 2013

FORTE

My friend Patty makes fun of me because I pronounce the word "FORTE" as "FORT" when it is referring to a special talent of a person. (CLICK HERE to see my BLOG article PATTY's P-U-YUK FILE)

Years ago, I used the word with one of my employees and he said, "You know, Sue, the proper pronunciation of that is FORT, not FOR-TAY." I immediately said, "Yes, I DO know that!" I was indeed flummoxed because, YES, I did know that it should have been pronounced FORT, but I thought HE would not know that! He noticed my discomfort and laughed and said, "You probably thought that I wouldn't know it." I said, "Well, not TOO many people know that!" He said, "I figure if they don't know it, they'll ask me about it; I don't dumb-down and neither should you!

Good advice. That was when I quit playing to a perceived audience.

The moral of that story: never underestimate a guy building trucks who holds a Master's Degree!

People look at me strangely because of the way I pronounce FORTE, CARAMEL and CREPE.

CLICK HERE to see 79 COMMON MISPRONUNCIATIONS, which includes the three I mentioned. I agree with the video except in the pronunciation of "SCORSESE", because I've actually heard Martin pronounce his own name, so I'll agree with him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you never DUMB-DOWN. You are my liberal education, Ms. Shaw!