Background

Saturday, August 24, 2013

"SHE WATCHED TOO MANY TV SHOWS"

My friend Patty and I were reminiscing about the assiduous Private Investigator we had at BMY. He was sedulous in ferreting out and proving fraud of employees claiming Workers Compensation for supposed accidents. He had a "BS DETECTOR"!

One young woman named Amanda claimed a back injury and one day I went into the women's restroom and as I was in a stall, I heard a voice say, very sotto voce," I thought you should know that Mandy is working under the table at her step-father's car dealership in Urbana!" I do not know who the person was but I hurried back to the office and called our P.I. and he said, "I'll have to check all the dealers in Urbana to try to figure out which one." I said, "Maybe her Personnel file would have her mother's married name as her next of kin and we could find out that way." We went to Human Resources and voila!; there was Mandy's mama's name on her application!

When the Private Investigator went to the dealership, he said that he wanted to test drive a car, but he wore his arm in a sling and he asked her to do the driving, lift up the hood, show him the spare tire, etc.; all of the activities were prohibited by the restrictions for her supposed injury. She did not know that she was being filmed and recorded.

Not only was she charged with fraud to the company and Workers Compensation, but she was also reported for not claiming her income from her step-father. She never knew what had happened until her hearing and she actually said, "This is entrapment." The P.I. said to me, "She watched too many TV shows!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Carl! ML